Thursday, September 14, 2006

Apartment Living: the Neighbor Gets Sober

A New Day Dawns Daily, Frequently in Color
Dear Neighbor,

Thank you for quitting drinking. A new level of peace has come to my home now that you and your girlfriend don't have shouting matches as you come and go from your car parked in the carport under my window.

I can sleep with my bedroom window open now because you don't get in your car at 1:50 every morning, slamming the car door and starting the engine. Now, I could drift back to sleep easily enough after that one; it was the door slamming bottle clanking return five minutes later that agitated me to wakefulness. Finally, I closed the window for the summer. But recently I forgot to close it - and I didn't wake up til morning!

I've been able to sleep with that window open every night for about a month! Thirty days, Neighbor guy, GOOD GOING!

I thank you, your liver thanks you, your blood vessels thank you, the other drivers on the road thank you, your girlfriend seems to thank you (at least I don't hear her clattering out the door in her high heels cackling after you these days) . The 7/11 corporation may not be so happy, but I bet the employee feels some relief, being spared from the little struggle triggered in his soul when he put the fifth in the bag and said "have a nice night."

Keep up the good work, and be aware that your decision to treat yourself better has repercussions that are good, one night at a time.

Sincerely,
Your Neighbor

No comments: